Architecture, tapas, and culture: a guide to Oviedo

When people ask me whereabouts Spain I am from, I always get the same answer: “I’ve never heard of it!”. Most people only know about Madrid and Barcelona, nonetheless, Spain is full of beautiful places to be discovered – such as Oviedo. This medium-sized old city was founded in 762, it is located in the north of the country, and it has about 200.000 citizens. Here is a list of the top three places worth visiting in Oviedo:

1. Santa María del Naranco.⛪️

In this city you can see some of the oldest Christian buildings in Spain, such as the “Santa Maria del Naranco” church. Its construction finished in 848 and you can visit it for only 3 euros.

2. Restaurant “La Sureña”.🍻🥘

If you are a student in a low budget, you will love this restaurant as much as I do. Situated in the city centre, it offers all kinds of tapas for every taste – and prices are not higher than 5/6 euros for each plate!

3. Archaeological museum.🎟

Oviedo has plenty of free museums (perfect if you are a student in a low budget), but the archaeological museum is, by far, my favourite. It was established in 1844 and it displays elements from all major cultural periods – from prehistory to our modern times. The picture below is a sculpture from the IX century:

What about you? Have you ever visited Spain? If so, let me know in the comment section below!