The art of giving up

In 2016 I made the bold decision to challenge myself to give something new up every day of the month, this was to challenge the idea that it takes 21 days to break a habit. When looking back on that year I found that I remembered it being rather easy, maybe some months were harder than others (cheese was a big one) but it was definitely doable! This was going to be easy right?

Wrong.

In order to make this challenge a bit more – well – challenging, I decided that each thing had to improve my life in some way, so I decided that for the month of January I would attempt to live waste-free.

(Photo source: Myzerowaste.com)

To begin with this challenge was easy, I started with simple changes such as swapping cotton buds for flannels when removing make-up, stocking up on Lush products (the packaging consists of 90% recyclable materials) and buying loose fruit and vegetables… then I made it to the meat aisle. Looking through the the local supermarket I found that almost everything I bought was wrapped in non-recyclable materials.

(Photo source: Independent)

This month forced me to take a look at my shopping habits, think about how to approach products in a different way, and forced me to make the extra effort that would benefit not only myself but the environment.

This challenge so far has been difficult but had proven to me that I am able to adjust my life for the better, but I must admit, the second the clock hit midnight on the first of March, I ate an entire bar of Dairy Milk. Some things just don’t change.